Custom Mezzanines for Warehouses, Distribution Centers, and Storage Facilities
Mezzanine Quick Facts
- Mezzanines can add 40%-50% more storage space to your existing building.
- Expect to pay $14-$15 per sq. ft. for a large mezzanine, and up to $20 for a smaller one.
- Production and material delivery can take 8-10 weeks after drawings are approved.
- Installation can take 1-2 days and up to 3 weeks for larger projects.
Project Quote, Permits, and Pricing
Estimate and Quote Process
- Free Consultation. We’ll meet with you to discuss your needs and to conduct an on-site evaluation.
- Free Estimate. After the consultation, we’ll create an estimate for your project at no charge.
- Revise/Approve Drawings. The mezzanine plans must be reviewed and approved by an engineer. Most states require a permit too (we can help with this). The engineer’s stamped drawings can cost anywhere from $1500-$2500.
- Production and Delivery. Usually takes 8-10 weeks after the drawings are approved.
- Installation. Smaller projects can take 1-2 days, while larger projects can take up to 3 weeks.
Approvals and Permits
We’ll make sure that your mezzanine adheres to applicable building codes, industry standards, local seismic requirements, and your exact specifications. Prior to installation, we will inspect and evaluate your facility’s structure, slab, and soil, to ensure it can withstand the additional forces. Our designs are certified and stamped by a structural engineer.
After the installation, we’ll thoroughly inspect the mezzanine for safety and durability.
A large mezzanine can cost $14-$15 per sq. ft., and up to $20 for smaller projects. Mezzanines built over existing shelving cost less because we’ll use existing structure for support.
Featured Mezzanine Project
Old Dominion Electric – Wildcat Point Generation Facility in Rising Sun, MD
We interviewed Mark Lancaster and Paul Hanson from ODEC about working with us on their mezzanine project.
The client didn’t have space for a tool room and wanted a mezzanine to use for tool storage.
This sliding gate on the second level locks to secure tools and equipment.
Lower storage area to store regularly-used items.
Benefits of a Mezzanine System
We’ll help you utilize the unused vertical space in your facility by designing and installing a custom mezzanine system.
Maximize Available Vertical Space
If your facility has a ceiling greater than 14 feet high, you might be a perfect candidate for a mezzanine system.
Installed above your existing machinery, storage, or racks, this system will give you an additional level where you can add offices, equipment, conveyers, or storage. With a mezzanine system, you can add 40% to 50% more usable space, at a fraction of the cost of expanding or relocating.
Partner with J&J Material Handling and gain this flexible space at a fraction of the cost of new construction and without the hassle of moving to a new location.
What would you do with additional space? Here’s how some of our clients take advantage of this flexible solution:
- Double order-picking capabilities
- Add in-plant office space
- Machine guard to protect both your employees and equipment
- Equipment support and storage
- Elevated work platform
- Locations for overseeing operations
Custom Mezzanine Design
Before we design and install a mezzanine system, our team will determine your facility’s needs and capabilities in supporting the system. We will meet with you, learning more about your operation and your desires and needs. Our engineer will evaluate your current setup, along with the thickness and quality of the concrete slab floor. We will also discuss potential placement of columns, supports, and shelving, so we can minimize the modifications to your current arrangement.
When designing your mezzanine solution, we can use several decking solutions to meet your budget and your planned usage.
We typically use corrugated steel roof deck as the supporting underlayment, then add a floor surface that’s right for your operation. These flooring options include:
- Resin flooring (we use resin most often because it’s durable and easy to roll hand trucks over)
- High-density wood decking
- Plywood decking
- Concrete floor
- Diamond-plated steel decking
- Bar grating
To equip your new mezzanine, our team can include a variety of features to meet your specific needs:
- Safety gate
- Guard rail
- Staircases and landings
- High speed conveyors
- Storage units
- Automated storage units
- Pallet racks
- Picking modules
- Ceiling tiles
- Electric and lighting
- Wire security partitions
- Fire-retardant materials
- In-plant office
- Variety of color options to match your corporate brand or existing shelving
Contact Us About Your Mezzanine Project
We’d love to meet with you to discuss what you’re looking for and how we can help.